Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reiki in a nutshell....a BIG nutshell.


I absolutely LOVE Reiki.  The most common question I get asked is, What is Reiki?  So, in a nut shell here is what I tell those people:
  Reiki is a Japanese based healing energy.  I say Japanese based because energy healing is in so many other modalities and cultures.  In Japan it is called Reiki.  In other cultures it is called by other names, Shaman or spirit person is what I have been called by others.  On the lighter side I get called VooDoo lady, Energy zapper and all sorts of funny things. 

  What energy healing is has to do with the energy that is within all things.  Yes, even your car has energy!  It is sometimes easy to see the energy within living things, the toddler running endlessly at a playground is a good example.  The energy in a carpet or book might be much harder to describe and understand.  Have you ever just walked in a house and felt comfortable?  That is the energy residing in the house.  Or have you walked into a house and for some odd reason wanted to leave?  Same energy, whether you like the people or not!  As a Reiki practitioner I can feel the energy in things.  I help to balance that energy with my energy.  Do I get tired from doing Reiki?  Not at all!!! I actually get more energized and excited because it is something that I love!  As a person pursuing Reiki goes through training, they get what is called attunements.  These attunements pass the Reiki Masters energy on to them.  Hard to follow but, that also passes on all the attunements of the previous masters.  Some people are very into lineage and this is why.  If the original Reiki Master - Dr. Mikao Usui - is in your lineage then you have energy that has been passed down from him.  But that is another post! 
I can not give any negative energy to someone nor do I take on their negative energy.  This is what proper attunements are for.  The more attunements you have had from various people the more balanced a Reiki practitioner is with lineage from all sources.  Can we connect to the world this way? Sure seems possible! 

Reiki feels like warmth or sometimes a tingly feeling.  During a session the Reiki practitioner gently lays their palms on different positions of the clients self.  In this way we are balancing the clients energy as well as knowing where to go next.  The body's energy will let us know where it would like the healing energy.  Sounds all to weird?  During a session I can feel in my heart where I am supposed to work with a client.  I can't explain it when I am done.  Most best describe it as intuition.  Working with that intuition is sometimes difficult for a Reiki practitioner to do.  Really trusting yourself and the energy is all it takes.  A typical session is an hour, although some sessions are shorter or longer.  It depends how the practitioner sets up their practice.  How long your session ends up, for me, depends on your energy and its needs.

To Reiki another person a practitioner need only be a Reiki I level.  This is a basic level, but is fully capable of providing the healing needed for energy work.  Reiki II works with symbols and can distance heal a person.  Again the more Reiki attunements you've received the more healing energy you have in your arsenal, (that's how I like to remember it.)  So the higher level you are, you know the person has had more attunements.  That doesn't necessarily mean that a Reiki I hasn't had as many atunements as a Reiki Master.  Not sure I should go down this maze, but some people choose to stay a Reiki I and not further their training.  Yet, they could still go and have attunements from a Reiki Master.  Thus giving them a powerful arsenal of lineage.  Reiki Master is the highest level, yet there is so much within that title.  Don't assume just because someone is a Master that you will go for a session with them and instantly be healed!  This is not how it works, more on that in a few.  Reiki Master is like karate, or at least that is the analogy I give, there are many levels to black belt and once a black belt there is always education and work to keep up.  A Reiki Master has the ability to pass on energy, as in attunement, and has the highest symbol of the Master Symbol. 

Some people feel Reiki instantly.  Like heat or buzzing from the palm of the practitioner.  While others feel the effects hours to days later.  Sometimes people don't realize the effects until they notice what is missing.  An example would be a client of mine that comes to me for shoulder pain.  She had her session and thanked me.  She seemed disappointed until she called me the next day.  "I didn't think that Reiki worked until I woke up and had full movement in my arm again!  I didn't even realize it until I was brushing my hair and noticed the movement and the fact the pain was gone!"  We live in a fast paced world where instant results are the most appreciated and sought after.  Reiki has the ability to do that, however I would caution against seeking that.  Reiki works with enegy and there is no control for energy.  You can not force it.  I get asked how many sessions will this take, the answer is within the individual.  When you feel you are balanced, then you know. 

Reiki

No comments:

Post a Comment